top of page
On November 5, 1953 the residents of Charlotte Drive, Edgewood Terrace and Branchburg Park held a meeting for the purpose of organizing a volunteer fire company. At the group's second meeting on November 12, 1953, the name selected for the fire company was the Milltown Volunteer Fire Company. At the third organizational meeting on December 3, 1953, the company was officially changed to Country Hills Volunteer Fire Company. At the December 17, 1953 meeting the officers for 1954 were elected including the company's first chief. Frank Colailo. The Certificate of Incorporation was recorded by Arthur Tuttle on January 5, 1954 at 9:13 am.
In January of 1954, the company purchased a 1931 American La France 750 GPM Pumper, with a 400 gallon tank, from Union Hook and Ladder Company of Far Hills for $950. This truck was put into service on April 1, 1954. In April 1954, the company responded to the first call with 27 men. This was a field fire where Fisher Scientific now stands on US Highway 202.
By the summer of 1954, the company had erected a temporary fire house on land owned by Leon Concord on US Highway 202 (Charlotte Drive) On February 17, 1956, Frederick Meyer donated a 200 foot by 200 foot parcel for land located at the intersection of Milltown Rd. and Frelinghuysen Ave. (presently where station 1 stands).
There were some significant developments in 1991; the first was an agreement with Ankon Construction Co., Inc. to build the company's station #2. The ground breaking took place on September 15, 1991.
bottom of page